Orion, International Folkboat.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next >  Last >> 
  • 16 Oct 2018 08:17
    Reply # 6745688 on 6141347

    The selfsteering is a Holland winvane, aka Bouvaan. 

    I picked up a secondhand one, last time I visited the "vaderland" (the Netherlands).

    They come in different stages of completion. 

    It's the first time for me to play with a selfsteering device. I'll have to spend some more time finetuning and do adjustments.  So far it works great on all courses forward of the beam, but with the wind aft this thing seems to have a mind of its own. It’s like the pendulum is taking control instead of the vane doing its job...suggestions anyone?

    The photos are a bit distorted. The third one shows a little device I’ve made so that I can move the steering lines up and down the helm, in order to find the best place of attachment. 

    I’ve set it up with the lines attached way forward on the helm so as to avoid oversteering with the wind aft of the beam. Not that it helps a lot....

    Last modified: 16 Oct 2018 08:54 | Anonymous member
  • 16 Oct 2018 08:07
    Reply # 6745563 on 6141347

    Hi Paul

    I have done some measuring..

    The maximum camber is at about 35 %.

    Balance about 15%

    The sail came out on the large side so I take the first reef halfway up with running topping lifts, mastlift and tackline. 

  • 15 Oct 2018 10:28
    Reply # 6730842 on 6730062
    Anonymous member (Administrator)
    Anonymous wrote:

    Good morning Frederik and Arne. Your sail looks very good. Where is the point of maximum camber on the sail chord?


    Hi, Paul, on my sails i aim for about 35% from the luff. It could well be that it is more efficient with it further aft, but I found on my first junk, Malena, that the actual CP 'followed' the max camber point. The present choice of position is therefore mainly to avoid weather helm problems.


    PS: Orion's sail was made by a sail maker, so I cannot tell where he put the max camber point...

    Last modified: 15 Oct 2018 10:33 | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 15 Oct 2018 09:31
    Reply # 6730062 on 6141347

    Good morning Frederik and Arne. Your sail looks very good. Where is the point of maximum camber on the sail chord?


  • 15 Oct 2018 08:40
    Reply # 6729371 on 6721615
    Anonymous member (Administrator)
    Anonymous wrote:


    I’ve uploaded a short clip. Does this work?

    Works fine and looks good, Frederik! Tell us a few words about
    your self-steering, please.


    Last modified: 15 Oct 2018 08:41 | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 14 Oct 2018 15:55
    Reply # 6721615 on 6141347


    I’ve uploaded a short clip. Does this work?

    Last modified: 14 Oct 2018 16:02 | Anonymous member
  • 14 Oct 2018 15:06
    Reply # 6721599 on 6141347

    Slowly but surely pictures are ticking in.

    Now I get to see the rig from the "outside" and I must admit that Orion is a looker.

    And she sails like a witch...

    The photos below are in 1-4 knots of wind. We're still doing 2 knots through the water. 

    Full sail (35sqm) up til 10-12 knots of wind. 

    Last modified: 14 Oct 2018 18:08 | Anonymous member
  • 12 Sep 2018 15:11
    Reply # 6665994 on 6141347
    I took the excess slack out of the batten parrels and the sail is now very close to the mast on the starboard tack. Furthermore I moved the sheet point on the pushpit 5 cm further to the centerline.  All in all, a big improvement. Hard to tell if one tack is better than the other. Another lesson learned...

    It's great fun to be able to fiddle with the rig. 

    Last modified: 14 Oct 2018 15:09 | Anonymous member
  • 02 Sep 2018 11:43
    Reply # 6650122 on 6141347

    Jeps Arne. 

    Good advice on the batten parrels. They are (have become..) quite slack. I'll tighten them up first and see if that makes a difference. 

    The sail is seized taut along the battens now. So room for possible improvement there. 

    The sheet point is on the push pit. Offset ca. 12 cm to port. 

    Last modified: 02 Sep 2018 11:48 | Anonymous member
  • 02 Sep 2018 11:25
    Reply # 6650104 on 6141347
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Sounds good, Frederik.

    There is one factor which affects the tacking symmetry a lot:
    The sheet-point's sideways offset. Apart from this, one must ensure that the batten parrels are not slack, as slack parrels make the sail appear to be sheeted more in on the mast-to-weather tack.

    Increasing the camber. 
    On my Ingeborg I also measured the initial camber/chord to 7%. Since I had tied the sail fairly taut along the battens, I decided to ease that tension with about 4cm. After that, the camber was found to be 8%, which was what I initially aimed for.

    I don't know how you have tied the sail to the battens, and I don't know what camber the Tuchwerkstatt cut the sail, but in case you have tied it taut along the battens, you may as well correct it and get a bit more drive. The price to pay is a bit more wrinkles along the battens.


<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next >  Last >> 
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software