SibLim update

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
  • 12 Dec 2017 19:28
    Reply # 5625652 on 4315719

    Haha - what a wag!  I think that would suit you even more, David!

    Thank you for the suggestion, Jonathan - I can't complain of lack of ideas! 

    My apologies for not posting this week: as summer comes around, so, it would appear, do visitors.  Not that I'm complaining: I shall remember the times spent with friends with more affection that the times spent sanding epoxy.

    Last modified: 12 Dec 2017 19:28 | Annie
  • 11 Dec 2017 19:15
    Reply # 5623836 on 5623827
    Jonathan Snodgrass wrote:

    C O D A is not, as far as I am aware, an abbreviation and does not, as far as I am aware,  have any unfortunate connotations.  

    Jonathan  

    Carry On Decanting Ale.

    An appropriate acronym if ever there was one ;-)

  • 11 Dec 2017 18:57
    Reply # 5623827 on 4315719

    Annie


    A name suggestion: Coda 


    Dictionary definitions:


    1.  Music.  the concluding passage ...


    2.  Ballet.  the concluding section of a dance.


    3.  a concluding event or series of events.  


    Those seems to fit the boat's design brief.


    It could hardly be shorter.  That saves on sign writing.  


    It has two good clear syllables for use on the radio, or for hailing.  


    It is generally pronounced correctly.


    C O D A is not, as far as I am aware, an abbreviation and does not, as far as I am aware,  have any unfortunate connotations.  


    It could have a certain wistful sadness, which might not be acceptable.  

    However, the association with music and ballet may suggest delight and gaiety (in its original sense).


    Jonathan  


     

    Last modified: 11 Dec 2017 18:59 | Anonymous member
  • 10 Dec 2017 19:22
    Reply # 5622619 on 5621929
    David Webb wrote:

    Hi Annie,

    back to names. How about Kotare, the New Zealand Kingfisher?? 


    David.


    It's a great name: but when I asked people how they would pronounce it they either said 'coat-air' or 'coterie', neither of which is very close to the correct pronunciation, which you can find here.

    I think we may have found the name.  Both I and the boat like it, but we're still wondering.  After all this fuss and bother, it's perhaps not very exciting, but still ...


  • 09 Dec 2017 23:17
    Reply # 5621929 on 4315719

    Hi Annie,

    back to names. How about Kotare, the New Zealand Kingfisher?? 


    David.

  • 04 Dec 2017 19:53
    Reply # 5612556 on 5611465
    Arne Kverneland wrote:PS, 4.12: Now I added a sail with AR=1.95, just one notch taller than Ingeborg's sail. It is the tallest there is room for on that mast, giving a SA=36.4sqm.



    It's interesting how the different sail plan completely alters the appearance of the boat.  However, it's good to know that I could add the extra sail area on the same mast if I decided that I want more sail area.  However, I think she'll fly with what she has. 
  • 04 Dec 2017 19:49
    Reply # 5612551 on 5611454
    David Tyler wrote:

    Arne, what you say regarding lower loads when the sling point and YHP are moved further up the yard is quite true, of course, but it comes at the expense of a higher mast; and you have in the past advocated a low mast. Annie has said that she prefers a lower mast, and the sail I've drawn is my best effort at satisfying both that request and the request for light loadings on the lines. Really, I don't mind at all if she chooses to use one of your planforms, or some other planform. I only say that I've tried to match the rig to the boat and the owner as best I can.


    DD - I love the sail that you've drawn.  I want to try something different from what I've had before and I think it adds a certain air to SibLim.  Of course, I'd love to try one of Arne's, too, but at least I've had the fun of making one when we made Blondie's sail.  In truth, I rather like messing around with a shelf foot, too because I enjoy the process of sewing up a sail.  The Oracle has offered to get me full-sized patterns made, which would be a great idea.  It would mean that when I need to make another sail, I could get away with doing it in a much smaller area, without the necessity to loft out the panels.  I'm really looking forward to that job.
  • 04 Dec 2017 19:44
    Reply # 5612548 on 5611380
    David Tyler wrote: If it can't be SIBLIM, how about YABA
    Well, at least it is an acronym.  I do get irritated by people who confuse acronyms with initials.  Maybe Yaba Daba Doo!, if you can think of what Daba Doo can mean ;-)
  • 03 Dec 2017 22:59
    Reply # 5611465 on 4315719
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    I can see your point, David. 

    I still try to fit as tall (and big) sail as I can on the shortest possible  mast. However, on Johanna I overdid it a little. Besides, now, with the hybrid aluminium-spruce masts, weight is easier to keep down. On SibLim's shown mast, I guess I could increase the AR of the sail a little, maybe to 1.95 or 2.00, since the halyard drift looks so generous.

    However, this was about plonking Ingeborg's rig onto SibLim's sailplan, just to see. I think the size and height of the rig you have designed for SibLim makes sense.

    Arne

    PS, 4.12: Now I added a sail with AR=1.95, just one notch taller than Ingeborg's sail. It is the tallest there is room for on that mast, giving a SA=36.4sqm.



    Last modified: 04 Dec 2017 08:23 | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 03 Dec 2017 22:17
    Reply # 5611454 on 4315719

    Arne, what you say regarding lower loads when the sling point and YHP are moved further up the yard is quite true, of course, but it comes at the expense of a higher mast; and you have in the past advocated a low mast. Annie has said that she prefers a lower mast, and the sail I've drawn is my best effort at satisfying both that request and the request for light loadings on the lines. Really, I don't mind at all if she chooses to use one of your planforms, or some other planform. I only say that I've tried to match the rig to the boat and the owner as best I can.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software