10 Turning the hull over (33)

Created on: 19 Oct 2016
Taking the hull out of the shed, turning it over, putting it on its keel and then moving it back into the shed.
  • 2 Oct - the first job was to jack the boat up so that the yard trailer could get under it.
  • The strongback lived up to its name, and we moved it up in increments, ensuring that the hull didn't get tilted too much in the process.
  • Finally we had the hull raised 800mm - high enough for the wheels to get under the strongback.
  • 3 Oct The yard brought round their custom trailer to move the hull out of the shed.
  • After the trailer was pushed under, on its low wheels, the boat and strongback were jacked up to allow the big wheels to be fitted. Normally hydraulics do this, but were disabled for maintenance.
  • Then Kevin moved the keel round, positioning it next to where the hull would be, so that the crane could move it the following day.
  • The hull was then moved round and the strongback lowered on to crib blocks.
  • And then the hull was ready to be turned over.
  • 4 Oct - It had rained overnight and I was worried that the keel wouldn't dry out in time. Fortunately when the crane - it looked rather small - arrived at 0945, the sun had come out.
  • My job was to spread epoxy thickened with silica and high density filler on the keel. It kept me fully occupied. Just as well: watching a year's work dangling in the air was terrifying!
  • The stops were attached to the crane pulled under the hull.
  • Then the jib was boomed out, lowered and the strops attached from the other side.
  • Two hooks were being used for this operation, so that the hull could be rolled over. Now the second one was hauled up to take the load.
  • Slowly the hull was lifted up. Neighbouring boatie, John, was asked to take photos: I was too busy mixing epoxy. Thanks, John.
  • With the boat not far above the strongback, the crane driver started manoeuvring his hooks so that the strops were alternately slackened and tightened. The hull started to roll over.
  • Tony, refitting a boat in the next shed, came to join in the fun. It was mercifully calm, but he was interested to note how easily the swinging about of the hull could be controlled with just one hand
  • In a few moments, the hull was past the half way point.
  • The slings were crossing the deadwood, so it was necessary to put the hull down on a couple of blocks of wood, so that they could be moved.
  • As the hull levelled out, it settled quite happily on the deadwood.
  • The hull sat happily while the strops were taken out.
  • Tony and Marcus decided some props should be put under the bilge panel, but they proved unnecessary and, in fact, fell out.
  • Tony with another prop
  • 'Come ON!" The strops are back in place, adjusted and the hull waits to be placed on the keel. I am still frantically spreading epoxy. The whole business took very little time.
  • With the glue finally spread, the hull was swung over the keel. about 725 kg, Gary reckoned, which is what I'd estimated.
  • The aftermost keel bolt is the longest and it was very easy to locate the keel over this so that the rest would line up.
  • The other holes line up in a most satisfactory manner. (But it must be said that one advantage of the Gougeon Bros method is that the holes are over size!)
  • The glue oozed out in most places as planned. One or two gaps filled up when the holes around the keel bolts were topped up.
  • Less than 45 minutes after the crane arrived, I was cleaning up excess epoxy from the keel.
  • Unfortunately, my intention to take a series of gloating photographs was stymied by the weather: with rain clouds gathering, we had to hurry to get a cover on the hull.
  • 5 Oct - I was delighted when Kevin made the effort, the following day, to fit me in so that SibLim could go back in the shed. Despite the cover, some rain had already got inside the hull.
  • With only Marcus and me to help, I didn't have much time to take photos, but it was a replay of Tuesday, in reverse.
  • With a frame to support the stern, the hull could be left with the minimum of support, which will make it much easier for painting, fitting the rubbing strakes, etc.
  • Then I threw a party: all those who have shown interest in the building of SibLim were invited. There was heaps to eat and drink and a lot of great people to help celebrate.
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software