07 SibLim - Planking the hull (part 3) (42)

Created on: 05 Jun 2016
Yes, I know it's taking a long time ...
  • 31 May - the stringer glued into place.
  • 2 June - fitting the plank over the bilge board void.
  • The more planking I fit, the less I have to clamp to!
  • 4 June - fitting the bilge panel inboard of the bilge board case. I rather overdid the feather edge on the scarph. These are diabolically difficult things to handle without damaging them.
  • 5 June - the weekly Sunday morning shot, showing progress (or lack thereof). Cold and short days are taking their toll a bit.
  • 9 June: the next part of the planking had to be done with 6mm ply, because the 12mm wouldn't bend sufficiently. I trimmed off the excess ply from the topsides to find out where the 'top' was.
  • 11 June: the 6mm ply wasn't sufficiently wide to go from chine to chine, so I had to scarph on an extra piece near the bilge board.
  • The forward end of the bilge board case.
  • 12 June: preparing the first piece of 6mm ply.
  • 12 June The weekly progress photo.
  • 13 June: handling a 2500mm long piece of floppy ply to place on a glued area is not easy. Having located it on Bruno's pegs at the chine, I propped it on some clamps until I could get some screws in.
  • I fitted the whole panel and the scarph as one, to reduce the cleaning up required.
  • To my astonishment, the whole thing looks remarkably fair!
  • 15 Jun: trimming the excess ply from the bilge panel.
  • 18 June: precoating for the next 6mm panel.
  • SibLim Club member, Marcus, volunteered to make a pattern for the forward end of the keel, so the steelworkers in the yard would know what they are supposed to end up with.
  • 19 June: the sleeping cabin, closed in, with bulkhead no 2 finally removed.
  • 19 June progress photo
  • 22 June - cutting the final piece of the first layer, port side.
  • 23 June - the port side is now closed in.
  • Looking up into the bow. It wasn't easy to clean up the glue! (But no-one's going to see.)
  • Preparing the starboard bow for closing in. Thank heavens for epoxy!!
  • 25 June - cutting off pegs to prepare for the second layer of 6mm ply.
  • Preparing the plywood for the second layer.
  • 26 June. Progress photo.
  • 26 June - preparing the next large panel of 6mm, second layer.
  • 28 June - and screwing it in place. Work has been delayed because the container that formed the back of the shed was taken away; Marcus had to make a hurried rebuild, which slowed down my work.
  • 29 June - the offcut from the bottom, fitted perfectly at the top!
  • The matching piece for the starboard side. I mean matching: all the bilge panels could be used as a pattern for the other side, which saved a lot of awkward work. I'm rather proud of that.
  • 1 July - Cutting the scarph on one of the final pieces.
  • 2 July - precoating for the glue. The scarphs are staggered - just!
  • The final pieces: one pre-coated, the other ready.
  • Whoo-hoo! It's done! The hull is finally planked up. Bubbly to celebrate :-D
  • 3 July - progress shot. You can't see it from here, but I KNOW that the hull is finally planked up. Now there is a heap of work to prepare for turning it over.
  • 7 July:I'd hoped to staple the 6mm ply together, but too much twist.Worried that filler might not reach the bottom of the deeper holes, I decided to use trunnels. Large matches were a perfect fit
  • 10th July. The matchstick 'trunnels' can be seen: they trim off with one swipe of my little Japanese saw.
  • 20/7 - I rejoiced somewhat prematurely. Preparing the hull for glassing, I noticed several voids behind the 2nd layer 6mm. The shape is just too compound for such a big piece of ply.See next caption
  • I routed out the worst of the plywood and then drilled several rows of 8mm holes, 1.5 diagonally below. Injected resin, filling the holes as they overflowed with dowels and toothpicks!
  • The replaced pieces of ply. All seems very sound and solid now, but it cost me the best part of a week. (I faffed around for a day, deciding what approach to take to solve the problem.)
  • 22 Jul I don't want metal fastenings in the boat, but like the idea of 'mechanically' fastening the hull to the stringers and bulkheads (and plywood to itself), so have put dowels at 30cm intervals).
  • SibLim the pincushion. I dare say the dowels are illogical, but the advantage of being a woman boatbuilder is that everyone knows women are illogical. It makes me feel happier anyway.
  • 24 Jul.State of progress. All trimmed & sanded. I'm coating all endgrain (to make it smooth for the glass and to stop it absorbing too much resin when I come to glass) and scarphs (for final fairing)
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software