6 SibLim - Planking the hull (Part 2) (50)

Created on: 26 Mar 2016
  • 8 Showing matching scarph on hull
  • 7 2 Apr Scarphing plywood using power planer.
  • 1 20/3. Bruno (Lakatao) suggested I fit a couple of dowels to the chine log to locate the panels of plywood. This meant I could fit the sheets on my own without getting glue everywhere.Brilliant idea!
  • 2 23 Mar. First topside panel, port side.
  • 3 25 Mar. Second topside panel, starboard side.
  • 5 Next panel glued on port side.
  • 4 28 Mar. Offering up the next panel. A full sheet of 12mm ply is a handful for me to manage on my own.
  • 9 3 Apr. Planking coming along
  • 6 31 Mar. Laying up the third layer of 6mm on the bow. It has had a tendency to dish in, in the middle, so I used wooden battens - and lots of glue - to keep it flat.
  • 5 April - drilling holes in the flocoated panel
  • 7 April - plywood strips ensure that the scarph ends up flat.
  • Screws are driven into the longitudinals with penny washers.
  • Meanwhile, there is still plywood to fit to the bottom of the boat.
  • 9th April - it suddenly occurred to me that a deck stringer might prove useful when I come to lay the foredeck.
  • A piece of Alaskan yellow cedar is screwed and glued into place.
  • 11th April - Marking the bow panel
  • 13 April - The first bow panel is fitted. It was quite a tussle to get the ply to bend.
  • 15 April - the second bow panel was even more of a struggle than the first. Even with super slow hardener I was racing to get it secured before the glue went off.
  • A friend said it looks more like a piece of sculpture than a boat. It's fun to turn the photo upside down to see what she will look like when finished!
  • 20 April - the final piece goes on the bottom.
  • 23 April - I've decided to add bilge stringers to stiffen up those big, wide panels and to make planking a little easier. Cutting a scarph in saligna is hard work.
  • 24 April - persuading the stringer to go where I want it to.
  • 2 May - I try and take a photo from the same spot every week to see how progress is going. The bilge stringers are in place. Less apparent is the fact that the hull is being faired ready for planking
  • 3 May - cutting the first bilge panel. The two holes are for the wooden pegs to locate it.
  • 8 May: 2 panels glued in place. I'm using 6mm MDF as a pattern for the next one. The panels are just too wide for a sheet lengthwise. I doubt I could handle it with an extra piece scarphed in place
  • 9 May - Rob Prince joins the SibLim Club.
  • Putting in screws over penny washers to hold the panel down until the glue is cured. The panel is held in place temporarily by 'Bruno's pegs'.
  • 11 May - second panel glued up on the starboard side.
  • Marking the next panel. The apparently poor fit is due to the scarph not having yet been cut.
  • This area will become storage space under the cockpit.
  • Roughly fitting the next sheet.
  • 12 May The space under the cockpit after removing the MDF temporary bulkhead.
  • The scarph didn't fit quite as well as I'd hoped. The next one, fortuitously, landed on a bulkhead.
  • 13 May. Trimming off excess plywood for fairing the bow.
  • The plywood runs out from an obvious chine to an almost straight line right at the bow. Information as to how to fair this, came from the model, so the curve on bulkheads 0, 1 & 2 was guessed at.
  • While i dithered and worried, Marcus galloped up on his white charger and took over the job of fairing the hull. He did in 2 hours what would have taken me 2 weeks!
  • 15 May Five panels along the bilge.
  • 18 May. With another temporary MDF bulkhead removed, I can get an ideal of the saloon.
  • In an ideal world, all the scarphs would land on a bulkhead. However, financial requirements if nothing else, dictate that they land where they land!
  • Looking aft towards the cockpit. This area will be the dinette.
  • And this will be the galley. I need a fish-eye lens to get a decent photo of the interior.
  • 23 May. Moving along. The third panel on the far side has been offered up but is not yet fitted.
  • The bilgeboard case required framing before any more planking could be fitted.
  • Framing on the inside of the bilgeboard case.
  • 27 May. With Rob Prince's help,I carried on with planking. I'm quite pleased with this scarph.
  • 4th panel, starboard side.
  • 29 May. I have to finish the bilge panel stringer - still a scarph to do on the port side, notches to cut and the stringer to be glued down. Then fitting plywood around the bilgeboard cases.
  • Setting up the bilge stringer which needed quite a bit of persuasion to pull into place.
  • 30 May Closing in the void space under the 'fender locker' next to the bilge board.
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software